shootfirst: (pic#3043377)
Kat Samcelot ([personal profile] shootfirst) wrote in [community profile] knightsoflegend2013-11-05 08:45 am

chicago ♔ but close my eyes for a while | and force from the world a patient smile



♬ Evil - Interpol

WHO || Spike, Francesca, Archer, Myri, Finnick, Elena, Buffy, Des, Gar, Mark, Kat, Rafael, Isabella, Jaka, Burt, Violet, Luthir, Val'drin, ??[Closed]
WHAT || The Knights prepare for the trial of Rafael Giovanni and face a few revelations along the way
WHERE || Various locations, Chicago
WHEN || July 17th - November 21st  [Back AND Forward dated]
HOW || Actionspam, don't sweat tag order!!



The trial of Rafael Giovanni looms on the horizon, as summer gives way to fall, the chill in the air creating a definite atmosphere of foreboding as the date grows closer. It's not merely Rafael's freedom on the line after all - but also Des', thanks to the deal he struck with Iscariot. While Francesca and Val'drin work to uncover the secret of the mysterious hourglass artifact, lawyer Jaka Teken'Duis uses his ... unique legal powers to work towards a "Temporary Insanity" case for Rafael. The Knights, unhappy about the potential ramifications of such a plea, continue to seek any evidence they can to show Rafael was actually innocent, and place conspiracy charges back on Chad Becksworth and his ilk for what transpired. Not everything they learn, however, is what they were hoping to find...

Others wage more personal battles, as the coming autumn signals the encroaching winter, and Luthir and Violet's time draws shorter to find a way to stop her nightmares, lest they kill her. Elena plays a dangerous game, working to uncover more of her nature by training her doppelganger powers - with the enemy.

This log covers any work and non-work related shenanigans the Knights have while staying in Chicago, immediately following the three mission logs and continuing for four months. This will be the Knight's last time in Chicago before the trial: after which they plan to return to the castle to fully Knight Violet and Dawn and decide where to head next.

Make your own threads, don't fuss about tag order, feel free to threadjack multiple people into one thread for hang-outs, ask me if you want a certain scene with an NPC, etc. forever whatever. There will be a few group scenes, which I'll alert everyone to on Plurk. They may not all be posted immediately, so keep an eye on this post for new threads as time goes by. Please wait to post social threads here until we reach a certain point in the top group thread. I will alert you all when you are free to post.
65: <user name=seethesoldiers site=insanejournal.com> (who knows you might even see this guy)

[personal profile] 65 2013-11-06 10:54 pm (UTC)(link)
[finnick speaks up from his corner at the bar, sounding a little ornery. you might think it's because he's drunk, but … no, he's really just ornery. and he is not here for this tbh.]

When did serving justice become the top priority of the mission? And who are you [he waves his hand over at buffy just in case it wasn't completely clear who he was talking to] to play judge, jury, and executioner? Let's promote Buffy to team leader, so she can cull away anyone who disagrees with her morals.

[ok ok time to … stop putting how he feels about buffy in the book.] Mark didn't make the best choice, but he was cornered into a situation where he didn't feel that he had any other. I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same. [actually he knows he would have done the same. whoopsies.] Should I be joining him on the plane?
bigbad: injuries (I am a fist)

[personal profile] bigbad 2013-11-06 11:03 pm (UTC)(link)
Sounds like you should be, mate. [spike will surprise no one by backing Buffy's call. This mission has rapidly gone downhill and she's the only one who seems to be acting like it's not amateur hour anymore.]

Remember when we all thought Wynn wanted to fire us? All those arguments we made about why we should stay? [He shakes his head.] It's not just about one wrong bloody call. It's making that call and then not coming to the team with it. It's all these bloody secrets. We're together in this, or we'll fail. And if you can't take that, then you really should bugger off to the nice, safe castle.
notaroundme: (pic#4987843)

[personal profile] notaroundme 2013-11-06 11:07 pm (UTC)(link)
So, we're supposed to be able to just turn off our fear?

[This is an impossible thing. Working through fear and still doing what needed to be done was one thing, but turning it off was another. And not everyone was capable of doing it in every circumstance.]

No single person in this room can decide what's right. Innocent people would have died if Mark hadn't done what he did. Innocent people died either way. No one gets to decide that one is more important than the other.

[In other words, people are going to die. Everything ever is awful.]

Mark should have told us. We all agree on that. We could have helped him. But it happened, and laying all the blame on Mark and saying that those of us with feelings should leave isn't going to bring anyone back.
savemyself: (cause its so easy to say it to a crowd)

[personal profile] savemyself 2013-11-06 11:17 pm (UTC)(link)
[ Isabella catches that little approving moment between Buffy and raf and looks like she's brimming over with rage. She turns to Rafael, jaw quivering angrily as she harshly says: ]

I cannot believe I have to remind you of how much it has cost you to put some... mission first all your life.

She hated this side of you. Have you learned nothing even after losing her again? [ Rafael looks stricken by the jab, but isa doesn't give him a chance to reply, turning to dramatically flounce out the hotel room door instead. The slamming sound causes gars last frazzled nerve to break and she nearly jumps out of her seat with the jolt. ]
rationalizes: (pic#2552341)

[personal profile] rationalizes 2013-11-06 11:39 pm (UTC)(link)
[ to be honest, gar does not look all too pleased to be handed the ol responsibility baton, but she forces herself to speak up anyway. ] No one's getting sent home against their will. Rafael, beg pardon, but you're wrong - we are not... soldiers in a war fighting as Wynn's... army. Wynn has told me as much himself on multiple occasions, when I first joined the knights and thought I was hardly knightly material. He values each one of us for the humanity we bring to these problems, the variety of responses that help us... Well theoretically to strike a balance between the two extremes we're arguing right now.

[ to mark: ] But they're right in that you do have a choice right now. Wynn may decide to pull you away from us either way, but I want to hear your opinion.

Please.
nosdacariad: (pic#3743033)

[personal profile] nosdacariad 2013-11-07 01:45 am (UTC)(link)
[♬ runaway - linkin park

mark's actually been effectively frozen as if he'd just been punched in the gut ever since des' why the hell couldn't you find a way to protect your other family? jab. all color has drained out of his face, and the best he can manage is to lift his head enough to dazedly look across them all as they argue rapidly about his fate. he looks as if he's in physical pain, on the edge of a complete meltdown, and he buries his face in his palms just as tears overflow. his reply is muffled, but not indiscernible. ]


I wanted... [ there's a strangled sob of a breath ] I wanted a chance to ... t-to make up for what I'd done... especially to Rafael and Des. I thought helping with the trial could-- [ he lets out an almost inhuman moan, as if realizing the futility behind the symbolism ] I know what I did was wrong, I know I let being... being afraid get the best of me, but I won't make that decision again. [ he finally lifts his eyes, red-rimmed and pathetic looking ] You're as much my family, and I hurt all of you. I don't know how any of you could look me in the face anymore.

[ he casts an apologetic look at gar, who looks crestfallen, and then pushes himself to a wobbly standing, moving towards the door. ] I don't deserve to be here.

Buffy's right.
slay: btvs (7.17), with (spike) (everything i need to know.)

[personal profile] slay 2013-11-07 01:52 am (UTC)(link)
[ being right is incredibly hard sometimes, particularly when it's because you did the hard thing and set your own feelings aside to be rational. because as soon as it happens, the feelings come rushing back but you're not allowed to let them flood in quite yet.

that's how buffy feels, anyway. she deflates considerably as mark moves past her for the door, and she doesn't turn back to look at him. her eyes shut and she tilts her head downward, folding her arms over her chest.

it's hard. he's been her friend for more than a year and a half now and just like that ... but it's the right decision, as far as buffy is concerned. if he's going to have such a conflict of interest that it'll get in the way of the mission and put other people working it at risk, then this is what has to happen. he has to be removed from the situation. it's her need to protect the people on this mission, and see it through the motivates her to that belief.

so, she keeps her mouth shut out of respect for mark and their history, and ignores the snide remarks in her direction. she steps forward to reach out to des quietly, one hand moving to touch the back of his elbow in a barely-there gesture of reassurance. after all, jade had meant far more to him, and he's been there with them pretty much since the start.
]
witchwoman: (pic#4380066)

[personal profile] witchwoman 2013-11-07 03:26 am (UTC)(link)
[There are moments when Myrilandel wishes she wasn't an empath. Still standing beside Kat, Myri finds herself surrounded by people she loves so deeply and feeling like she's tearing in half from the impact of their escalating emotions. To her, it feels like the air has been yanked from the room, leaving her unable to move or speak. Her eyes dart to each of them as they speak, the volley of words twisting inside of her.

She fears this is the beginning of the end of them.

Marks sobs grab her attention, and she wants to scream for them to stop- for everyone to shut up and stop for a single moment. It's all happening so fast, too fast. This feels so much to her like the concert, like she's supposed to do something, but she doesn't know what. By now, the group has divided- physically as much as emotionally. There are sides to pick, lines to cross, and all she can do is stand frozen in... fear. Funny how it was the source of all this

Rafael seemed to think it was a weakness, that it needed to be destroyed, that it had no place here. Buffy was in agreement, from what she could tell. But what good was it to fight if you had nothing that you feared losing? Fear had driven her, guided her, moved her from place to place and it brought her here. If she was honest with herself, it was fear that had caused her to follow the voices that urged her to move East, to find a home and a family. And that promise was kept when she joined this group and found these people. Fear had given her everything, in a way.]


Mark... wait. [Her voice is small in comparison to the forceful, impassioned speeches that seemed to come from all sides. She is trying so desperately hard not to cry. She can't make him stay, can't ask him to face this sort of persecution. In realizing that, she doesn't continue to address him, but instead turns to those who would want him gone.]

I would have done the same. [It's hard to keep her voice even when she brings her gaze to Buffy.] If they had you? Or Finnick? Vi or Elena... Any of you? If all I had to do was open a door to keep you safe? I would have done it. [Her teeth clench as tears slip down to her cheeks, pushing forward.] And I would have hated myself for it now and done everything I could to make right what I did wrong.

Perhaps you wouldn't. Perhaps you're better than me for it. Stronger. But if you're right, if this is what it takes to complete this task? If we must sacrifice the ones we love without hesitation? [Her head falls forward, a sob overtaking her. As she struggles to collect her thoughts, she moves towards Mark, reaching out to him and slipping her hand into his. She doesn't excuse his choices, but knows that they were some of the hardest he has likely ever made.]

I cannot continue like this. If this is what we are? Then I'm going with him.
65: <user name=seethesoldiers site=insanejournal.com> (i promised to try my hardest.)

[personal profile] 65 2013-11-07 03:44 am (UTC)(link)
[finnick can actually relate to mark a lot, ok. he's feeling it when he starts to talk. fear got the best of him too, down on the concert floor. he couldn't help but feel that he'd hurt the group in some way by not being able to react properly. and if mark didn't deserve a chance to redeem himself for his mistakes, then why should finnick?

so he stands up and walks over to stand next to myri and mark. (pocketing archer's gun too btw. HE CAN'T TRUST HIM ALONE WITH IT.)]


I'm afraid I'll have to leave as well.
graveflowers: (Ω worried.)

[personal profile] graveflowers 2013-11-07 04:12 am (UTC)(link)
[ Her jaw tightens at the look Buffy gives her, but she dimisses it because, frankly, she doesn't give a shit. She knows Buffy doesn't like her. She doesn't need to defend her feelings or her capability to feel more than one.

Color her completely unsurprised with Myri and Finnick, she's about to do the same thing which is equally unsurprising. Everyone knows by now that she'd go with those two to the ends of the earth. Personally loyalty is her downfall. She lost too many friends in the legion because she put the mission before their lives and she's not doing that anymore. They meant more than the mission, they deserved more. She keeps silent about her nightmares because she doesn't want to put more on people's plates -- almost the exact words Mark said to her. She doesn't want his problems to end how hers might.

She looks at Mark, ignoring everything else for a moment, because his answer could decide for her. ]
Mark, your family. Are they still in danger? [ Because if they are, if they're still tied up in this, there is no way in hell she can walk away. ]
nosdacariad: (icondactyl58)

[personal profile] nosdacariad 2013-11-07 04:22 am (UTC)(link)
[ mark stares down at myri's hand in his, and there's a mingled sense of both disbelief that anyone would take his side on this and also deep and lasting gratitude to everyone who walks over to join him. it's clear from the expression on his face that their support right now is something he is never, ever going to forget. he's still failing at wrestling his tears, but he manages to meet vi's gaze. ]

... It's complicated. But... they still need help, yeah. [ there's a beat, an awkward hesitation ] I know this sounds melodramatic, but... I'm the only one who can help them. And no, I can't explain that, because the more I say ... the more likely it is I won't be able to. I know it's the last thing I deserve, but... [ his eyes hit the floor again, but then stray to myri's hand and he gives it a squeeze ] but just trust me on that.
notaroundme: (pic#5548155)

[personal profile] notaroundme 2013-11-07 05:02 am (UTC)(link)
[Elena stands in stunned silence for a moment before a smile crawls across her face. Damn, gurl.]

Well, Kat sure said it better than I ever could have.

[She looks at Mark, then everyone else standing there.]

She's right. We're a team. [And anyone not on that team are the ones that should leave.] Mark, you may have to be the only one that can help them, but that doesn't mean we can't help you. We just have to find a way.
bigbad: (You did not think)

[personal profile] bigbad 2013-11-07 05:29 am (UTC)(link)
I don't much care if he stays or goes [That's not entirely true. Spike cares very much. He just hasn't decided which way he wants it.] but I'll say one thing.

[He turns and stalks up to Mark, not exactly more threatening than usual, but still looking angry enough that he's scary (intimidate 17).]

If you're all your family's got to depend on? Then they're buggered. Not because you've told us too much, but because you won't bloody do anything. Get this sorted on your own, or give in and risk getting some bloody help. Just do something. Your inaction'll just get more people you care about killed.
nothingsodivine: (he's never been a friend)

[personal profile] nothingsodivine 2013-11-07 05:37 am (UTC)(link)
Nice speech for a car-killing sociopath.

[Yeah, that's what Des has to say right now.]
witchwoman: (Default)

[personal profile] witchwoman 2013-11-07 06:10 am (UTC)(link)
[Myri gives an audible sigh of relief, her shoulders relaxing, even if her hand never leaves Mark's because he needs her right now and she's not going anywhere. She didn't want to go, didn't want to leave any of them.]

Maybe we should all just... [She wants to suggest that they take some time to calm down, split off and let off whatever steam is remaining, because trying to work towards any goal right now? Would end badly. But there's a nagging in the back of her mind. Secrets were destroying this group. And she had one she wasn't telling them.]

Actually, before we do anything, I need to tell you all something. And I... I don't know if I should. [She glances at Des, not sure how he feels about her right now, since they're on opposite sides of the invisible line this argument drew.] They asked me not to, but... [She moves her eyes back to Mark and smiles in a small, sad way.]

Sir Chessing and Bancroft... while they were still here, they were talking one night. I overheard them, enough to go speak to them further. According to them, there are murals in the hall that lead to the round table room.... I hardly remember them for how long it's been since we've seen the castle, but I'm certain their right. These murals detail a prophecy which includes symbols connected to the Talisman and events that surround it. According to them, the events all show the Knights against an army of spiders. [By now, the connection of spiders to the drow was plain enough that she didn't feel the need to explain.]

They said that there was so little known about it that they didn't want to worry us with it, that thinking about it might cause us panic or act in ways we would not otherwise. I agreed with them then, but... If something were to happen and it might have been avoided if you all had known? I don't know how I would live with myself.
slay: ats (1.08) (Default)

[personal profile] slay 2013-11-07 06:20 am (UTC)(link)
[ buffy whips her head around to finally face the party members planning to abscond from the failboat when kat calls her out, eyes flashing wide with surprise, brow furrowing with indignation, but she keeps quiet. there's not a doubt in her mind that this decision is going to come back to bite them in the ass, but buffy the person, rather than buffy the slayer, finds herself relieved and grateful for it. she gets to keep her friends alongside her in this. ]

Yeeeah, as the person among us who's been closest to death-by-spider, I feel compelled to ask if there's any chance the person responsible for this prophecy is still alive to help us clear it up. I-I mean, they don't mean a ... a literal spider army, right?

[ she looks expectantly around the room. a beat. ]

Right?
graveflowers: (Ω contemplating)

[personal profile] graveflowers 2013-11-07 06:36 am (UTC)(link)
[ Vi is trying to use some serious telepathy to tell Finnick to sit the fuck down, as tangible proof that no one is leaving since Kat laid down the law but then Myri is talking and her scrunched up expression slackens and her head starts to shake like are you fucking kidding me right now? YOU KNOW SHE DIDN'T HAVE A SPIDER FEAR BEFORE THIS SHIT.

Sob why prophecy, this is not ancient Rome, stop this shit immediately. ]
Maybe... they mistranslated. And meant puppies. A puppy army, I'd be okay with this. [ Not the point, Violet. Think. ] Is there a timeline for this epic puppy battle?
witchwoman: (Default)

[personal profile] witchwoman 2013-11-07 06:41 am (UTC)(link)
They said there's very little information on it at all. But they can only assume the spiders are there to symbolize the drow. The further we get into this, the more they seem to be connected to it all, so I can only assume... [She trails off.]

I should have told you all sooner.
rationalizes: (pic#2251207)

[personal profile] rationalizes 2013-11-07 11:34 am (UTC)(link)
[ gar's face is white as she looks back to myri, aghast. ] It's-- it's entirely understandable, Myrilandel. If a Dragon's Claw - let alone two - asked me to keep a secret, I'd assume it were for the safety of all of us.

[ wait, she doesn't want that to sound like a scolding for... telling ] But thank you. For sharing. We just need to proceed with caution in not letting this... influence our decisions. Prophecies are dangerous in that way.

[ a beat ] I'll find a way to get in touch with Sir Chessing. Let him know we're aware, without putting it on you.
romanticidal: (Default)

[personal profile] romanticidal 2013-11-07 11:37 am (UTC)(link)
[ rafael does not look happy about anything, but he sticks to the topic on hand. ] Did they tell you where this prophecy came from, Myri?
witchwoman: (Default)

[personal profile] witchwoman 2013-11-07 03:15 pm (UTC)(link)
[She shakes her head] They didn't say. Or rather, I didn't think to ask. I heard them mention something about how Wynn has been worried about the prophecy since Sir Bancroft was just a squire. Given his time with the Knights, I can only assume this has been around for a very long time.
65: <user name=seethesoldiers site=insanejournal.com> (wtf)

[personal profile] 65 2013-11-07 03:41 pm (UTC)(link)
[FUCK YOU VIOLET DON'T BLAME FINNICK FOR ME ... BEING ASLEEP. he's basically like "welp glad we got all that sorted out" and going back to the bar to fix another martini now.]
slay: ats (1.08) (Default)

[personal profile] slay 2013-11-07 10:28 pm (UTC)(link)
If there's a chance this prophecy could be what we're dealing with now, we need to know more about it. We need Jack and Thomas to brief everyone on what they know, since Wynn doesn't think it's important enough.